Bible Quotes on Love Spark Intriguing Thoughts



Published April 26, 1990. I often wonder if we pay enough attention to love. When we marry, we often make serious vows and commitments of love. We usually agree to love, honor, and cherish each other . . . until death do us part. And hopefully forever.

Franklin P. Jones noted that, “Love doesn’t make the world go ‘round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” And Anais Nin observed that, “The only abnormality is the incapacity to love. “Similarly, Robert Browning stated, “Take away love and our earth is a tomb.”

Of all things written about love, I find the thoughts in the Bible to be the most intriguing. In First Cornithians, Chapter 13, it states:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity (love), I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profitheth me nothing” (Verses 1-3).

What does it mean that “without love I am nothing”? Will I be nothing without love? Can I do nothing without love?

Another interesting insight offered in the Bible is that our ability to love would diminish “in the last days.” The 24th chapter of Matthew notes that during that time,

Then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another . . .
And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold” (Verses 10 and 12).

Paul also wrote that “love never faileth” (1 Corinthians 13:8). What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that relationships will endure if we learn to love others? Is love likely the very foundation of a marital relationship? Is it possible that love is the very essence of family life?

According to the Bible, people who are loving have patience and are kind with each other. They do not envy and put themselves before others. Nor are they arrogant and think they are better than other people. Loving people are not rude or selfish. Neither are they easily angered, nor do they remember nor dwell on the errors or even the sins of other people. People who love each other bear and endure hardships together. They also look to the future because they believe and hope all things (1 Corinthians 13:4-7).

Emmet Fox also noted the importance and power of love when he wrote:

There is no difficulty that enough love will not conquer;
No door that enough love will not open;
No gulf that enough love will not bridge;
No wall that enough love will not throw down;
It makes no difference how deeply seated may be the trouble;
How hopeless the outlook; how muddled the tangle; how great the mistake;
A sufficient realization of love will dissolve it all.

If only you could love enough, you would be the happiest and most powerful being in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this article