That Feeling that No One Is Listening to You


Published August 16, 1984. Have you ever had the distinct feeling that your husband or wife does not always listen to you when you talk? Most of us have. Writing in the Kol Ohsuim, the Jewish Marriage Encounter Publication of Minnesota, Joan Fishman has cleverly put this phenomenon in writing. It was reprinted in the June edition of Marriage Encounter Magazine, and I thought you might appreciate Joan’s insights. Her article, titled “It Was Tuesday,” is as follows:

It was Tuesday
And therefore they were home, together
Because he bowled on Thursdays,
And football with the guys was Monday Nights.
Naturally, she went to PTA on Wednesdays,
He had poker on Sundays,
She, bridge on Fridays.
And Saturday, one of them was always busy.
But it was Tuesday,
And therefore they were home together.
“Why look,” she exclaimed, “It’s raining!”
“Won $2.50 last night,” was his reply.
“I didn’t notice that before.”
“One heckuva game.”
“Although I did notice it getting cloudy around three.”
“The office was awfully busy today.”
“I took an umbrella.”
“Wasn’t even time for a coffee break.”
“But I didn’t need it. Are you listening?”
“Of course, Dear.”
“It’s supposed to continue tomorrow.”
“My secretary is away, really messes things up.”
“I was supposed to have my hair done, too.”
“The new girl is awful.”
“I guess many people will cancel.”
“But she’ll improve with time.”
It was Tuesday
And therefore they were home.
Together.
“My goodness,” he exclaimed, “It’s raining!”
It was Tuesday
And therefore they were home
Alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this article