Some Thoughts (and Verse) on Aging


Published August 3, 1989. I was going through my files of some of the thoughts column readers have sent in. One happened to be about growing old. Someone once noted that age is relative. Anyone is old who is 10 years older than yourself. Ten-year-olds think that those in their late teens or early 20s are “old.” My children think I was born shortly after Columbus discovered America. And those approaching 30 dread the day when they turn 40 and become “old.”

The interesting thing is that the age at which we think we become “old” keeps increasing . . . as we grow older. People in their 50s relish the youthfulness supposedly lost in the 60s. And those in their 70s believe themselves to be young while those in their 80s are “aging a bit.” My mother-in-law, Alice Day in American Fork, turned 88 last May and is afraid she might soon experience midlife crisis. And so it goes.

Have you ever noticed when you ask someone who is “old” how they are doing, the usual response is “I’m doing fine.” Arnold Price from Brixham in Devon, England sent the following poem titled “I’m Fine, Thank You.” You might find it interesting. I did.
There really is nothing the matter with me.
I am as healthy as healthy can be.
I have arthritis in both knees
And when I talk, I talk with a wheeze
My pulse is weak and my blood is thin,
But I’m awfully well for the state I’m in.

Arch supports prop up my feet
Or I wouldn’t be able to walk down the street.
Sleep is denied me night after night
Yet every morning I find I’m all right.

My memory is fading, my head’s in a spin,
But I’m awfully well for the state I’m in.
The moral is this (as my tale unfolds)
That for you and me who are growing old.
‘Tis better to say “I’m fine” with a grin
Than to let folks know the state we’re in.
How do I know that my youth is spent?
Well, my “get up and go
Just go up and went!

Old age is golden, I’ve often heard said.
But sometimes I wonder as I get into bed,
My hearing aid in drawer, my teeth in a cup
My specs on the table until I wake up
Ere sleep overtakes me I say to myself
Is there anything else I can lay on the shelf?

When I was young my shoes were red
 I could kick my heels right over my head
When I was older my shoes were blue
But still I could dance the whole night through.
Now I am old, and my shoes are black
And I walk to the shops and puff my way back.

I get up each morning and dust off my wits
Pick up the paper and read the “Obits.
If my name is missing I know I’m not dead
So I have a good breakfast and go back to bed.
Our thanks to Arnold Price for sending the poem all the way from Brixham, England. Perhaps you have some thoughts on what it means to grow older.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this article