Struggle to Fathom a Clock Proves 6-Year-Old Lives in Different Time Zone.


Published September 13, 1990. Life is complex for young children today. Brandon, our 6-year-old, recently came home from the first grade with a note from his teacher: “Brandon has difficulty telling time on the clock.” Susan showed me the note and asked, “What should we do about it?”

“No problem,” I replied, “I’ll just take Brandon in the front room for a few minutes and teach him how to tell time.”

So I got a few blank sheets of paper, a pencil and invited Brandon to come with me for a brief father-and-son learning experience. He was hesitant because he was watching television.

“Brandon,” I said, “we have a note from your first-grade teacher saying you can’t tell time. I’ve got to help you. When can we get together?” He looked up at me and said, “I want to finish this television program first. How about if we meet later, at 5:35?”

I was puzzled. Five-thirty-five? If he doesn’t know how to tell time, how does he know about 5:35? Sure enough. Brandon’s TV show finished at half-past the hour, and after a quick stopover at the cookie jar, he joined me in the front room.

“I know how to tell time,” he said between bites. “The problem is that the school doesn’t have clocks like we have at home.” I probed for more information.

“We have digital clocks,” he said as he finished the cookie, “like the ones on the microwave oven and VCR. I can tell time on those. But I can’t tell time on the ones at school that are big and round with lots of numbers on them.” I assured my young son that I would be able to teach him how to tell time on big clocks in just a few short minutes.

I drew a round circle and put the 12 numbers in place and explained the difference between the big hand and the little hand. “We will start with the ‘o’clocks,’”  I said.

“O’clocks?” he repeated.

“Yes, the o’clocks,” I replied. “They are very important. When the big hand is on 12 it means ‘o’clock.’” He said that was weird. We ran through a few ‘o’clocks’ for practice. “When the big hand is on 12 and the little hand is on 2, it is 2 o’clock.” He nodded his head as if he understood. “And when the big hand is on 12 and the little hand is on 3, it is 3 o’clock. Now, Brandon, when the big hand is on 12 and the little hand is on 4, what time is it?”

His face lit up, “I know what time it is,” he said enthusiastically. “It is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Time!”

I was somewhat dismayed to find out that most 6-year-olds go on a different time schedule. They not only can read digital clocks at a fairly early age, but they also have their own time schedule based on TV programs.

We spent nearly on hour, frustrating for both, trying to explain that when the big hand was on 6 it meant “30” or “half past.” He couldn’t quite comprehend that the numbers 3 and 9 meant “15.” And 1 means “five after”  and 11 means “five to.”

“Then what does it mean when the big hand is on 5?” he asked.

“That means 25,” I promptly came back. Brandon said he was really getting confused, but I assured him it was simple.

He asked, “Does 1 mean five or does 11 mean five?”

“Both,” I replied with fatherly wisdom.

“And 6 means 30 and 12 means o’clock?” he asked somewhat frustrated. “Then what does 4 mean?” he inquired.

I replied, “Twenty.”

“And what does 8 stand for?” he asked. I answered that 8 means “20” and sometimes “40.” (Why couldn’t this kid understand?) I spent the next 10 minutes trying to explain “past” and “to.”

Brandon was confused again and wanted to take a break. “Should we practice later tonight?” I asked. He said we could and suggested 7:25. I agreed. “And how about tomorrow?” He was reluctant but finally said maybe we could practice again tomorrow afternoon.

Right after “Duck Tales” time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this article