In a Quandary Over the Laundry!


Susan and I were out walking the other evening. The setting sun was reflecting off Mount Timpanogos. I became philosophical and said, “Susan, I think I need more challenges in life. New frontiers to conquer. More horizons to discover.”

We walked a few more steps, and I could tell she was thinking. Finally, she said, “I have a suggestion for you.” We paused. “Why don’t you try doing the laundry for a month?”

I was overwhelmed! Husbands don’t do laundry. I told her that was not quite what I had in mind. And then I could tell she was serious. Things haven’t been the same since.

Since that fateful evening walk, I have been thinking a lot about husbands and housework. Do husbands help that much around the house? And if not, should we?

We were at a family gathering the other night, and I was explaining my plight to my brother-in-law, Lee Sorenson. Lee is a successful Salt Lake City businessman, flies his own plane, and seems to be handling things well. He and my sister Jane have been married a few years longer than we have, and so I thought I would draw on his additional experience and expertise in marriage.

After dinner I said, “Lee, I am having some problems in my marriage. Susan wants me to start helping more around the house. She even suggested I start doing the laundry.”

Lee took another bite of cake and became business-like. “I know it sounds difficult, Brent, but it can be done. I even struggled with our laundry for a while, but you get used to it.” He paused and then continued, “Housework really isn’t bad. If you try, you can balance housework with your career.”

“So Lee really does help Jane with the housework,” I said to myself, “and even does the laundry. She sure lucked out when she married him.”

Jane was standing nearby, and I was about to inquire more about Lee’s help. But it was getting late, and he suggested they leave. And they did.

The following week I thought I would try doing the laundry, and what a shock! With six children I felt like Snow White doing the wash for the seven dwarfs. I have never seen so many mismatched socks in my life. It suddenly dawned on me that we go through 112 individual socks a week. And I swear that the washing machine eats a good number of them each time.

Susan sensed my frustration and tried to console me. She told me we have many friends whose husbands are closet laundry doers. And if it would help me feel better, she was willing to name names.

Just recently I read something that cause me even greater concern. Apparently, husbands are beginning to help more around the house. Benton and Bowles Advertising Agency just released the results of their study indicating that a sizable number of husbands are doing more household tasks. Ben and Bowles predict that what is now a small number of helping husbands will grow to a significant segment of society in the future.

In their study of 452 married men, the advertising agency found that 88 percent agreed that they, husbands, should at least “help out” with household chores. During the previous two-week period, 80 percent of the husbands surveyed had taken care of small children for an extended period of time. And 47 percent had helped cook an entire meal; 32 percent had gone shopping for food. My brother-in-law Lee was among the increasing percent of the husbands who had done the family laundry.

If there are any other husbands who are closet laundry doers, I would like to know how you manage it?

And there is just one more question I don’t dare to ask Susan. What do you do when the washing machine gets stuck between the wash and rinse cycle? Maybe I’ll call and just ask Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this article